In 1847, the daring enterprise of some people of Brissago lead to the establishment of the Fabbrica Tabacchi Brissago (FTB) company. This exploit, soon imitated by others, was the starting point for the evolution in Ticino of the cigar industry, that during its golden era at the beginning of the 20th century counted about 40 factories, employing about 2000 people. From the very beginning FTB concentrated on the production of the Virginia Cigar, native of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The name Virgina Cigar soon became Brissago Cigar (today registered mark), because of the popularity of this product made in Brissago and its high quality that differentiated it from the competitors. Later, the production of a new type of cigar was introduced: the Toscano Cigar. Nowadays, these products are still produced following the tradition and the ancient recipes. Fabbrica Tabacchi Brissago SA in 1988 became "FTB Holding SA" and established a smaller company with the old name, transferring the industrial activities. In 1999 the new FTB was taken over by the Dannemann Group, that after a full corporate restructuring, entrusted to the factory in Brissago the production of its prestigious cigars, mainly distributed to the Swiss market.